There are two graduates this year....Bryce Widhelm and Logan Benjamin. These are the first boys quilts since I've started making quilts for graduation. Bryce definitely wanted a quilt, I wasn't so sure about Logan. Making a quilt for a boy is different then making one for a girl. Or maybe it's just that I don't feel they would like a scrappy quilt like I've made for the girls. Anyway, I did more planning for these quilts.
In looking for a pattern for Bryce's quilt I was looking for something modern and eclectic. I found a couple of patterns I liked on Pinterest but this one was the best for Bryce. In doing the research I found out this was the back of the quilt the person made and not the front.
He wanted a gray/black quilt with lime green.
Having to draft the pattern myself I started with a 14" middle square and three inch stripes for around the squares. When I got the middle panel all put together it was way out of proportion. I took it all apart and cut the middle square down to 12". Much better balance.
I quilted this a panel at a time. The middle panel was easy to quilt but adding the two side panels weren't as easy as the instructions I was following said it would be. But in the end every thing worked out fine.
Julie, Logan's mom, had said a few years ago that Logan wouldn't want a quilt, he'd want more of a boy gift. So I decided to ask Logan if he'd like a quilt. After thinking about it a bit he said he would like one. So much for what moms know.
He wanted dark blue and red for his quilt (the blue is a lot darker then it looks in the pictures.) When I saw this one on Pinterest there was no question in my mind that this was the quilt for Logan. With Bryce's I teetered between a few designs but every time I looked at this quilt it just said "Logan".
When I was quilting the blue it reminded me of fields being plowed for seeding. I was wishing I had a GPS on my sewing machine so I could sew straight lines. Someone commented that these lines looked more organic. Thanks for the excuse.
They look good!! When is graduation?
ReplyDelete