Saturday, September 27, 2014

Love is Orange - ScrapHappy Saturday


I love orange.  It is such a bright, cheery color.  How could anyone be grumpy or sad when they had an orange quilt to wrap up in?  Drop in on ScrapHappy Saturday to see what others have done with this lovely color.


This is some "eyelash" material that was given to my Project Linus chapter.  I took it and backed it with a orange and yellow fleece, sewing it envelope style.  It turned out so nice I just about decided to keep it but I was sure some teen in need would get much more enjoyment out of it.  Besides, I already have an orange fleece blanket.





This is the block for Leah Day's Building Blocks quilt.  Her's were all the same two materials.  I have never liked track homes so I certainly wasn't going to make four all alike.  The dark house with the light roof has a pumpkin under the window.  I didn't have enough of the house material for that little square so gave them a pumpkin.




The one block I got done for the sampler quilt.








This is the quilt we made at our first Project Linus blanket day of the season.  Used up some left over Halloween fabric.  Trying to think of a good spooky quilting design.



Friday, September 26, 2014

September quilts for Project Linus

Oh how nice it was to gather and see everyone at Project Linus.   Gina didn't think very many would come as it was such a nice day outside.  But we had a great crowd.






I didn't think I'd gotten much done over the summer but the stack was sort of impressive.









This was a piece of quilted fabric that Ann Tuss had given me.  It had been "bound", sorta.  I cut off the "binding" and rebound it.  It looked so plain I felt it needed something.  I was thinking of my Raggedy Annie and Andy panels but couldn't fine them so used this Noah's Ark from many years ago.  Then turned it over and traveled stitched on the quilting that was already there.





The flying geese pattern was our March pattern.  I'm not fond of the traditional layout so found this Wandering Geese layout.  I'm wishing I'd reversed the color scheme, I think the geese would have showed up better if they had been the dark brown on the light back ground instead of the light on the dark.  Lesson learned.




On the back I made big geese.  They were fun.





My goal over the summer was to get some UFO's done.  These were left over half square triangles from the heart block we'd done two, three years ago.  I did have to make the orangie ones to get nine squares.





We were given a set of X block temp-lets and used them in April.  I had extra blocks so put together this little quilt.  I kept moving the flimsy from one place to another all summer until I decided to spend a day and get it quilted.  Didn't even take a day.








Gina had been given some "eyelash" material and thought they would be good for some teenager. Doing it in the envelope method it was fast and easy.  The trick was to use enough pins to hold it together.






In the closet we had this bright fleece that went perfect with the "eyelash" fabric. 

It was hard to give this one up....it was sooo cuddly and warm.

Rosie's Quilt

Rosie asked if I would make her a quilt after seeing the graduation quilts I'd made.  She and Tony had been so good to Chris when he drowned the Black Cat that I had no problem saying I would make her one.  She wanted a Queen/King size.  Humm, maybe I should have reconsidered.  No, I was happy to make her one.  I found a quilt top I'd already put together that was just the right size. 


The pattern is one I modified from a picture.  Added a border and then wondered where in the world I was going to find a place big enough to get the basting done.  Fortunately, mom had moved out by then and I used the floor of her bedroom.  Wish I'd taken a picture.....the quilt just about filled the room and the room wasn't that small!







Then trying to get the quilting done was interesting, to say the least.   As you can see, it took up the whole sewing table and more.  I was so happy Chris had made me this table.  It really helped with  supporting of the quilt.



I wanted to heavily quilt the "non" color parts so the circular design would show up more.  To emphasize the round theme I used this spiral design in the bigger squares and just a back and forth design in the small rectangles. 











I think it turned out pretty well.  I didn't quilt the print fabrics since I wanted them to stand out.

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Orange Blossom Special - ScrapHappy Saturday

I love the color orange but in looking in my scraps and stash I don't seem to have very much.



I do have some very orange gladiolas that were just beautiful this year.  Fit right in with this months color.











I did get some blocks made.  I really liked the upper right hand block but it was hard to get the seems to come out right so it made the 6 1/2" square.  The plus sign is made out of turkey material.  Can you see the gobblers?  haha.









The four-square blocks were left over two patches that I put together and the other block is called "Confetti".  A whole quilt of this block would make diamonds or stripes.











And the 12 strip block.  These may wait another year to get put together so I can have enough blocks to make a quilt.
















This is a fuzzy, fury material  that I sewed to the fleece in the second picture.  It was kinda messy to work with....when you cut it there was lots of yarn all over the place.  But it is so nice now that it's done.  It will warm some Project Linus blanket child and brighten their day for sure.








Hop on over to ScrapHappy Saturday
and see what others have done with this lovely, bright color.