This weeks homework was Jagged lines and since I didn't get them done before Leah posted today's Lost Data I split the practice piece and did one on each side.
It really helped to have the lines on the fabric I choose. :>) I liked this design a little better than the flowing lines. Maybe I have more of an angular mind. Using only half of the 10 1/2" block may have helped. Leah had mentioned on my last post to enlarge my pattern. It did help to think bigger.
I used medium blue thread hoping it would show up better on the green but it's still hard to see.
This week on the Freemotion Quilt Alone with Leah we put trapped Paisley in the gaps of Flowing Lines. I love how it looks but it seemed to take forever to get from one side to the other. Maybe it was because I was doing it on a 10 1/2" block and not in a 4" border. I'm sure it would go much faster and watching Leah makes it look so simple.
I almost wish I'd used the backing for the front. The dark green didn't show up real well but it is really nice. I'm definitely going to have to try this out on a real quilt someday.
The week seems to go by so fast and it's Wednesday again. I didn't do my homework on Leah's Goldilocks Quilt Along on a quilt block this time, I used it for the roof of my UFO barn. It didn't turn out quite as I envisioned it.
I was thinking this quilt design would look like the grain lines in lumber. With the angled roof I started out okay but by the time I got to the right side the lines were going more up and down on both the top and side of the roof. My biggest problem was travel stitching on the flowing line if I wanted the gap in the middle of the line. It was a concept I had a hard time wrapping my mind around and remembering to do.
You can see the detail a little better in this close up. The gaps with the stippling are suppose to be knot holes. I didn't put too many gaps in, didn't want it to look like they used a lot of bad lumber for the roof. :>)
My UFO's aren't disappearing very fast. Maybe I have too many other things to work on. I've got the bows and hearts quilt top all put together and basted so now all I have to do is think how to quilt it.
The last heart blocks I quilted I did feathers on them and it turned out beautiful but I think I'll do something different on these hearts. It's hard to tell the middle sashing isn't the same color as the rest. If I do enough quilting on the sashes maybe the pin dots will disappear.
This dog baby quilt was what was taking most of my time. It had to be done by last Saturday and I glad to say I even had time to spare after it was done. He was fun to make, didn't think I had enough kid prints to make each strip different but there were even some I didn't use. Mom was thrilled with it, now just hope baby likes it.
This is the last of the pivotal designs. Have really enjoyed getting to learn new designs and how to expand from the base design. I think I should have started with smaller triangles. It was hard to fill in the extra spaces and as other have mentioned there was a lot more travel stitching. The backs are always better at seeing the pattern.