Saturday, September 29, 2012

UFO Sunday #6--Barn Wall hanging

A few years ago for my birthday my mom made me this barn quilt wall hanging but just gave me the top and told me I could finish it any way I wanted.  Ugh!  I thought and I thought and I thought some more.  I didn't really like the idea of a wall hanging so I thought maybe it would make a great table cloth.  The problem, though, was trying to decide how I was going to make it big enough to put on my table.

 So it got put away.  Last year I painted my laundry room and decided to add my sewing to half of the area.  In decorating it I pulled this barn out and pinned it to the wall.  Later I decided to put the black border around it, maybe to give me some incentive to quilt it someday.  Thanks to Leah Day and her UFO Sundays I have started to quilt it.

I really couldn't think of any FMQ to do on the barn walls so just did straight stitching.  Not sure what color thread to use for the flowery meadow, black because of the right hand corner, or cream, or even green for grass.  That will have to wait until next week as I have a baby blanket to finish by Sat.

I'm auditioning this green plaid for a background to this I spy dog.  I ended up using a high quality muslin instead.  I like it much better.  And I gave him a black ear as the one in the picture got lost on the muslin.   Now just to quilt him.

3 comments:

  1. The dog is a great little pattern - do you have a full photo of it? I've not seen this one before (although I may say I've never thought of looking!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is the picture I used of the dog. I just winged it but it can be found in the book "Dare to be Square". Hope this helps you.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/rachelvt/6706561319/in/photostream/

      Delete
  2. Oooh... I love watercolor quilts and think your quilting on the barn looks great!

    ReplyDelete