Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June block for the Free-Motion Quilt Challenge

 I started this quilt in Feb. at a Project Linus Blanket day.   Once the top was finished and basted I knew I wanted to do some Free Motion Quilting to bring out the hearts.

 I've been following Leah Day for a few months and eventually found the Free Motion Quilt Challenge by SewCalGal.  The June challenge was hosted by Cindy Needham. Her feathers and filler seemed to be the perfect pattern for my hearts.  I have done feathers sewing on top of tracing paper so I had some idea of how to do them.  Doing them with FMQ was so much easier and I really enjoyed the flow of motion.  I felt I did a fairly good job for the first time.


 By the time I got all 12 of these hearts done I was very tired of them and was glad to be done even tho I enjoyed doing them.  The center cross hatch was the part I disliked the most.  Wishing now I had done something different in each heart.  Next time.
All in all it was a good learning experience and I will definitely use feathers again in a future project.

3 comments:

  1. Love your quilt! Your fmq turned out great and seems perfect for the hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great feathers. your quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete